Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Jodhaa Akbar in Dubai

Dubai was my final stop. I had always wanted to see that particular super-rich Gulf state, and to fly Emirates Airlines. Regarding the latter, it now occupies the Number One position for favorite airlines. Jet Airways is still on the list, too. Singapore Airlines has fallen a notch.

After an all-night flight, I arrived in a rather groggy state and the taxi driver I found was none other than Hassan-bhai from Bombay. He dropped me at my (outrageously overpriced) hotel, and offered me a city tour. I accepted. My day started in Hindi, and was about to continue in that vein pretty much for the duration of my short sojourn in the United Arab Emirates. I had parothas and massala chai for breakfast. Later on, Hassan-bhai picked me up with his friend Atif, who hailed from Pakistan. They took me around to see part of the waterfront, variously themed malls (including one with indoor skiing), carpet merchants, the world’s only 7-star hotel, and a perfectly coiffed beach.

We had a whale of a time. There are lots of Hindi music radio stations, and we cranked up the volume and hit the highway, singing and dancing as much as one can in a car, and generally having lots of fun together.

At some point, our conversation turned to interreligious marriage. The boys asserted that if a Hindu girl were to marry a Muslim man, that would be OK. But if a Muslim girl married a Hindu, that would be pretty much grounds for an honor killing. As I don’t quite agree with that stance, I recounted a brief anecdote to make my point as tactfully as possible.

Nearly half a century ago, when people were even more traditional than nowadays, there was a young woman from a small town in Kansas, Christian by birth, but with ideas of her own, who decided to study far from home in Hawaii. There she met a (lapsed) Muslim man from Kenya, Africa. They fell in love and married. Needless to say, there was consternation on the part of all the parents. But nobody contemplated knocking off either the bride or the groom to save besmirched honor. A son was born of this union. And he is about to become the next President of the United States of America.

For good measure, I just had to add that this difference in mentality is one of the reasons that India and Pakistan are and will remain poor countries. This is not a case of imposing foreign values, heaven forefend. People should be able to follow their own beliefs and traditions. Stay poor if you want if that’s the collective will.

Later on, I went to the Mall of the Emirates (the one with indoor downhill skiing) with a really nice Filipino chap I hooked up with. There was a cinema. And you will never guess what movie was playing: Jodhaa Akbar!! This was the first movie I was in upon arriving in Bombay! I couldn’t believe my luck. It was with Arabic and English subtitles. I bought two tickets for the next show.

Here I was at the end of my trip, reliving the happiest moment of all, which occurred at the beginning. It was like coming full circle. The crowning glory.

Hritik Roshan plays Laluddin Mohammed, the just Mughal emperor. He calculates that he can solidify Mughal rule over all of India by marrying the Rajput princess, Jodhaa (Aishwarya Rai), cementing an indispensible political alliance. Princess Jodhaa agrees to the union on two conditions: that not only must she keep her Hindu religion, but also have a shrine to Krishna, of whom she is a devotee, in her quarters. Laluddin Mohammed agrees, they marry, she becomes Empress, and both make a genuine effort to respect and even participate in each other’s rituals and traditions.

This could only come out of Bollywood. In fact, this is what I love the most about the genre. The intelligent and sensitive manner in which they approach issues of tolerance and modernization. It was also wonderfully poignant to see it in an Arab country. The subtext is clear. India was finally united as a political entity when Muslims and Hindus got together in respect, tolerance and love.

But that’s not all. To win her over completely and demonstrate his sincerity, he abolishes a pilgrimage tax on Hindus. In the speech he makes before his court to announce this momentous decision, we get not one, but several, rather clear shots, although at a slight distance, of yours truly, Skye Frontier, in full Mughal courtier regalia. Following the scene is the catchiest song in the movie, hailing the great emperor for his magnanimity and wisdom.

I set out with a dream. It came true. I saw it with my very own eyes and felt it in my beating heart. It has all been worth it.

And so concludes my journey. Jai Hind! Bollywood Zindabad!

1 comment:

ReverendNobody said...

Jodhaa Akbar! What a wonderful close to the circle!