Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Legally Eating and Reading

I got my passport and visa reissued and once again I’m legally in India for a year. Treated myself to a bhang lassi, had a shave and a head massage and played all the happiest music I had on the MP3 player. And I realized just what it is like not to have a care in the world.

Eating out in Bombay is almost invariably a pleasant experience. It certainly helps that I really enjoy Indian food. The down-home places are often hidden treasures. Even in the high-end establishments, prices are still quite reasonable and the food can be simply exquisite.

A common activity is to take my books and sit in a cafĂ© letting a good part of the day pass, immersing myself in the contents of my Bag of Culture. I started a rather harrowing biography of Mao Tse-tung by Jung Chang and Jon Halliday – a most unflattering portrait.

In one recent restaurant experience, I was intrigued to find stuffed chili peppers on the menu. The waiter assured me that it wasn’t killer spicy. Curiosity got the best of me. Fiery it was, but once I was over the initial shock and the endorphins began coursing through my brain, it turned out to be quite delicious.

It didn’t fill me though, so I ordered another portion of shrimps in spicy tomato sauce. Obviously I couldn’t finish it, but for $5, what the heck. A wee bit of neo-colonial gluttony should be permissible sometimes. Perhaps I’ll go down in the history books as the only Western tourist in India ever to gain weight on the journey.

A subsequent visit to the same establishment landed me a plate of grilled tiger prawns, with which I sipped an excellent French chardonnay. The only downside was that I was accosted by a hoard of beggars on my way out. Such experiences only serve as a reminder that if 80% of the world’s population is poor, I must make it my business to be in the other 20%.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Yeesss!!! You're back!!! I've furiously checked your blog ever since your last entry. Three weeks is a bit too much of a break, don't you think? Please also post some pictures. We want to see the few extra pounds you've put on!

Skye Frontier said...

Well, dearest, first of all, sorry for the delay. Computer service in the Andamans is spotty at best. But don't worry - there's plenty more to come.

The portions here are small, so I reckon I've lost weight now, but it looks good on me.

Soon it's off to Bangalore...

Love and miss you!!